Electoral Commission sets 12th Jan as date for presidential elections.
The Electoral Commission EC boss, Justice Simon Byabakama, has set January 12th as the date for the presidential elections and Monday as the commencement date for the presidential campaigns for the 2021 general elections. The dates coincide with the parliamentary campaigns and polling dates. Justice Byabakama appealed to all stakeholders to ensure that they work within the law and set guidelines to avoid confrontation from either side.
A total of 11 presidential candidates were nominated over a two-day exercise that was concluded on Tuesday.
- Candidates are expected today at the EC headquarters to harmonize their campaign schedules with the commission.
- The commission insists there will be no rallies or processions.
- The campaigns will be conducted virtually.
- Only 70 people are permitted to meet during election season.
- Candidates are further expected to inform their respective returning officers after identifying a venue for inspection.