Ec Sets Campaign and Polling Dates For 2021 General Elections.
Electoral Commission Chairperson Justice Simon Byabakama, addressing the media on Thursday announced that Members of Parliament and District Woman Representatives to Parliament will poll on the 14th of January.
The campaigns for the category of Parliamentary elections (Members of Parliament and district Woman Members of Parliament) will start on 9th November 2020 and 12th January 2021 starting from 7am to 6pm.
The campaign for city /district local government councils (lord mayors/mayors/chairpersons and councillors will run from November 9, 2020 to January 18th 2021.
Municipality/City division chairpersons and councillors’ campaigns are scheduled for November 9, 2020 to January 23rd 2021, whereas subcounty/town/municipal division chairpersons and councillors start campaigns on November 9th 2020 to February 1st 2021.
Election of regional youth representatives to Parliament will be from January 31 to February 1st 2021.
Byamukama said all campaign meetings should be done in adherence to Standard Operation Procedures by the Ministry of Health.
- According to the statement released by EC on campaign guidelines, Candidates will be allowed to hold campaigns in a regulated manner, preferably outdoors, with limited attendance of a maximum of 70 persons to enable observance of two metres social distancing rule.
- The returning officers will conduct an inspection together with Police and the district COVID 19 task force to ensure the venue will enable observance of SOPS.
- Campaigns and meetings shall be conducted between 7:00am and 6:00pm.
- Candidates and their agents shall not use language which incites public disorder, hatred, or violence.
- The Candidates and venue owners must ensure that the meeting venues are provided with hand washing facilities and sanitisers and that supporters attending the meetings wear face masks at all time.
According to Byamakama Presidential polling day will be communicated after the nominations of Presidential Aspirants.
EC set 2nd and 3rd November 2020 as dates for the nominations of Presidential Candidates.